Thursday, March 8, 2012

Making it Happen

     So, after much hesitation and procrastination my hubby and I finally moved forward with our life plan.  We decided, about a week ago, that we really needed to do "something" to start the ball rolling.  We took some pictures of our house and posted it up for rent on Craigslist.  We actually started out a little higher than we thought we could get and we figured it might take us a little time to find someone who wanted to pay that much.
     Three hours later I had had phone calls from 3 different people and by the next day we had five different parties coming to look at the house and every one of them was interested in renting.  Then, we had to make a decision.  Everyone seemed so nice when we met them, they all had great jobs and what seemed to be awesome kids.  I couldn't imagine that any one of them would be unreliable or not take care of our home, but ultimately we had to choose the family that felt right.  It was so hard to call the others and tell them we had decided not to rent to them, but I guess that's just part of being a landlord.
     So, in May we will be moving out of our lovely home and into...something...somewhere.  We haven't quite decided where we're going yet.  Life has been very busy figuring out how to finish up our schooling and where exactly we can do that.  Just today we finally figured out that we'll both be able to finish our bachelor's degrees from right here in our town and the we'll have to decide where we'd like to get our Master's.  Which means we'll be able to stay here for at least another year to year and a half.
     So why rent out our home?  Have you ever done something that you weren't quite sure about just because it felt like the right thing to do?  That pretty much sums it up for us.  We simply felt like it was the right thing to do.  We're not sure if we'll rent an apartment or buy another small home.  It would sure be nice if we could own some properties and rent then out, but then again maybe we'll end up in the trailer park?  Just kidding.  Truth is though, it really doesn't matter where we live...wherever it is will be home.
     I learned a long time ago that that illusive place called "home" is simply where your heart is full.  Whether it's in an apartment, a small house, a large house or the infamous double wide, if that's where your heart feels good then that's home.
    I've had many different homes in my life.  I think I counted the other day and I've moved close to 20 or more times...and all after the age of 19.  Maybe staying in one house so long made it easy for me to move around, but all I know is...I like it!  I love moving into a new to me house or apartment and making it mine.  I love redecorating, even if it's with all my same old stuff.  It all seems to look better when it's on a new wall or in a different room and I get the chance to appreciate it all over again.
     So, even though I have no idea where I'm going to be living in 7 weeks or so, I'm excited.  I'm excited for change and I'm excited to move and I'm excited that that next chapter is starting.  It may be in the midst of my son leaving on his two year mission and my daughter may be having her second child and I might be starting college one more time...but...how fun it will be!  Life is good my friends and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment